Saturday 3 July 2010

The Etiquettes of Salam

Said the Chief of the Prophets; "He is the nearest to Allah, the Mighty, the Glorious who takes the initiative in offering Salam (without waiting for the other to greet him)."

"The best deed in Islam is to feed the people, to offer Salam to every Muslim, whether known to you or not".

"When someone conveys to you the Salam, Assalumu Alaikum, say in return "Walaikum Salam" or better"

Being a Muslim revert, one of the first lessons I learnt was that you greet fellow Muslim Brothers by saying "Assalamu Alaikum" or "Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulahi Barakthu" Then in return the Muslim brother must say "Walaikum Salam, or "Walaikum Salam Wa Rahamatulahi Barakthu", because to not respond to a Salam is a grave sin upon that Muslim.

So, imagine my surprise that 3 years later I have come across a lot of Muslim Brothers who do not appear to know this!

I have noticed that the Muslim brother will reply to my Salam by also saying "Assalamu Alaikum" .. surely that is WRONG?

I have also noticed that the more outwardly religious the Muslim Brother appears to be, the more chance he will IGNORE ME! (With their noses pointed upwards, in an arrogant manner).

It got to the stage that I decided I would walk through London and target those who I didn't expect to reply, and just Salam them to prove to myself that yes, they would ignore me! Allah forgive me!

If we want Jannat, Paradise in the hereafter then we must get the basics RIGHT!

Therefore, learn these 2 important Salam's.

When you see a Muslim brother say "Assalamu Alaikum".

If a Muslim brother says Salam to you, respond with "Walaikum Salam".

Do not let the Shaytan get the better of you by making you believe that "Hello" and "Bye" is acceptable.

By Salaming Muslim Brothers you will find that you have Islam in your heart, and you will be a step closer to Jannah, Paradise.

Assalamu Alaikum to my Muslim Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment