I recently posted several Nafl prayers to my twitter followers and believe it would be a good idea to post them as a blog so that they are all in one subject.
Insha'Allah, may you get abundant reward from Allah Ta'ala for doing these Nafl prayers;
1) Nafl Salat: Tahiyyatul Masjid
When: This salat is performed when entering the Masjid.
Rakats: 2 Rakats before sitting down.
Benefits: The Prophet (saw) said: When anyone of you enters the masjid, he should not sit until he has offered 2 rakats (of nafl salat).
1. This salat is not to be performed at Marooh time.
2. Do not perform this salat if Fardh Jummah salat is taking place.
3. If one visits the masjid several times a day it is sufficient to perform this nafl salat just the once.
2) Nafl salat: Ishraaq.
When: About 15 minutes after sunrise.
Rakats: 2 or 4 rakats.
1. The Prophet (saw) said: He who performs Fajr Salat with the Jummah and remains seated in the same place engaging in Zikr until after sunrise and thereafter performs 2 rakaats Nafl Salat, will obtain the thawaab of one Hajj and one Umrah. (Tirmizi)
2. The person who offers 2 rakats of Ishraaq salat has all his sins forgiven and if he dies the same day, he will be directly admitted to Jannat. (Tibrani)
3. Allah says: O son of Adam say 4 rakats of Ishraaq salat in the early part of the day. I shall help you in accomplishing all your jobs during the rest of the day. (Tirmidhi, Abu Darwood)
3) Nafl Salat: Salaatul Dhuhaa (Chaasht)
When: 10am - 11.30am.
Number of Rakats: Consists of upto 12 rakats. One may perform 2,4,6,8,10 or 12 rakats.
1. Hazrat Aisha (Radiallahu Anhaa) used to perform 8 rakats of salaaul Dhuhaa. She said that even if her parents arose from the grave, she would not leave Salaatul Dhuhaa to go and meet them.
2. Hazrat Abu Darda (R.A.) narrates that the Prophet (saw) said: Whosoever offers 2 rakats of chast salat cannot be counted among the indolent. One who offers 4 rakats is among the devotees. Those who offer 6 rakats at chasht are made immune from all the worries for the whole day. Those who offer 8 rakats are recordd among the pious. Once offering 12 rakats has his house built in Jannat. (Tibrani)
3. Anas (R.A.) reported that the Prophet (saw) said: who so prays the forenoon salat with 12 rakats, Allah will build for him a castle of gold in Jannat. (Ibn Maja, Tirmidhi)
4) Nafl Salat: Awwaabeen Salat.
When: This salat is performed after Maghrib Salat.
Number of rakats: The minimum number of rakats is 6 and the maimum is 20 rakats. Can be performed in 2 or 4 rakat units although 2 rakats are preferred. Some Ulema are of the opinion that the 2 rakats Maghrib Sunnah and 2 rakats of Maghrib Nafl can become part of the 6 rakats of Awwaabeen Salat.
Benefits: Hazrat Ammar bin Yasir (R.A.) says that the Prophet (saw) offered 6 rakats after Maghrib himself and said that whosoever offers 6 rakats after Maghrib will have all his sins forgiven even if they are as much as the foam on the ocean. (Tibrani).
5) Nafl Salat: Salaatul - Taubah
When: When the need arises, provided it is not performed during any on of the prohibited times.
Rakats: 2 rakats.
Benefits: Hazrat Ali (R.A.) narrates that "Hazrat Abu Bakr (R.A.) narrated to me that he heard the Prophet (saw) say: whoever commits a sin, and, then gets up, and performs Wudhu and offers Namaaz, and seeks the forgiveness of Allah, Allah in any case, forgives him. After it, the Prophet (saw) recited the verse of the Quran: "And those who, when they do an evil thing or wrong themselves, remember Allah and implore forgiveness for their sins-who forgiveth sin save Allah only? - and will not, knowlingly, repeat the wrong they did (3:135) (Tirmizi)
6) Nafl Salat: Salaatul Istikhaarah.
When: Performed at night just before going to bed.
Number of rakats: 2 rakats.
Benefits: Hazrat Saa-bin-Waqqas (R.A.) says that the Prophet (saw) has said: the goodness of man is that whenever he intends to do anything he should take the indications by Istikhara.
You shold offer 2 rakats salat and then, entreat Allah in these words;
" O Allah, I beg You for the good through Your knowledge and ability through Your power; I beg (Your favours) out of Your infinite bounty; for You have power and I have none, You know and I know not, and You are the great knower of the hidden things. O Allah if in your knowledge this matter [replace this matter with what you are seeking] is good for my religion, for my livelihooda and for the consequence of my affairs then ordain it (decree it) for me and make it easy for me and bless me therein; But if in Your knowledge [this matter] is bad for my religion, for my livelihood, and for the consequences of my affairs then turn it away from me and turn me away from it and ordain for me the good wherever it be, and cause me to be pleased with it."
7) Nafl Salat: Salaatul Hajaat (Prayer in times of want)
When: In time of need: Any permitted time.
Number of rakats: 2 rakats.
Benefits: This salat is performed when one is in need or in difficulty. The Prophet (saw) said that whoever is in need of something should make a perfect wudhu (i.e. obeserving all the rules and aadaab of wudhu) and perform 2 rakats salat. After the salat recite the praises of Allah and durood shareef. One may recite any amount and any formula of praises - Tahmeed and Tasbeeh - as well as any amount of durood sharief. Thereafter make a fervant dua for the fulfillment of the need;
There is no God but Allah, the Clement and Generous, Glory be to Allah the Sustainer of the mighty throne. Praise be to Allah, the Sustainer of the Universe. I ask You (for words) which will guarentee Your mercy, actions which will make certain Your forgiveness, a supply of every virtue and freedom from every offence. Do not leave a sin of mine which You do not pardon, a care (worry) which You do not remove, or a want (need) that meets Your pleasure which You do not supply for me.
Allah shall then ease whatever difficulties you're experiences, InshaAllah.
8) Nafl Salat: Saffar Salat
When: Salat to be performed at home before setting out on a journey.
Number of rakats: 2 rakats.
Benefits: The Prophet (saw) said: A man has not left anything better at home (when he departs on a journey) than these 2 rakats which are performed at the time of a journey. (Tibrani)
9) Nafl Salat: Tahajjud Salat
When: It can be performed after Eisha either in the early part of the night or in the later part of the night. The time ends when sehri time ends. The best time is the later part of the night.
Number of rakats: The minimum number is 2 rakats and the maximum number is 12 rakats. It can be performed in 2 or 4 rakat units.
Benefits: Allah says in the Noble Quran;
"And Worship Him (a portion) of the night and glorify Him through the night" (76:26)
"And make salat in some portions of the night an additional prayer for yourself. It may be that your Rabb will raise you to the best and highest place in Jannat" (17:79)
10) Nafl Salat: Tahiyyatul Wudhu
Time of performance: After Wudhu
Number of Rakats: 2 Rakats
"He who observes 2 rakats with full devotion after performing wudhu well, becomes entitled to enter Jannat". - Muslim
"Hazrat Baraida (R.A.) reported that the Prophet (saw) arose at dawn, called Hazrat Bilal (R.A.) and said: For what thing have you preceeded me in Jannat? I did not enter Jannat but heard your sound of footsteps in front of mine. He said "O Rasul of Allah, I never proclaim Azan except that I prayed 2 rakats and no impurity affeced me except that I made ablution at its advent: and I considered that is due from me 2 rakats for Allah" - Timizi.
11) Nafl Salat: Salaatul - Tasbeeh (For forgiveness of all sins)
When: Any permitted time.
Number of rakats: 4 rakats:
Our Beloved Prophet Mohammed (Sallallaho Alihiwassallam) said to his uncle (father’s brother) Sayyiduna Abbass (may Allah be pleased with him) Oh uncle shall I not give you Shall I not grant you Shall I not award you Shall I not do mercy on you When you do 10 things Allah will forgive your sins: of the future and of the past; new and old; those you have forgotten and those you did knowingly; big and small; hidden and revealed. Then he (Sallallaho Alihiwassallam) explained the taught the way to pray Salatul Tasbih and then said if you can pray this salah once a day, if you can not pray once a day then every Friday, and even if this is not possible then once a month and even if this is not possible then once a year and even if this is not possible then at least once in a lifetime (Abu’Dawood & Tirimzi)
How to perform Salatul Tasbih?
This salaat (namaz) is offered in four rakat at a time and can be read in any part of the day and night besides Zawal and Sunrise and Sunset makrooh times, keeping in mind the forbidden times for performing Salat (namaaz). But is is preferred before Zuhr (Fatawa Alamgeeri)
The Tasbih to be read in Salaat-Ul-Tasbeeh:
" Subhaan Allahi Wal Hamdulillahi Wa Laa ilaha illal Laahu Wallahu Akbar "
Goal is to recite above Tasbih 300 times in Four Rakah with the following method.
In the first rakaat, after reading Sana "Subhaana Kallahumma...", read the above tasbih 15 times.
Now recite Aaoz "Aoozubillah...", Bismillah "Bismillah...", Then read sura Fatiha and a Surah or minimum of three small Ayayhs then read the tasbih 10 times again.
Go to ruku saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar), after reciting "Subhaana Rabbiyal Azeem" minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in Ruku.
Saying "Samee Allahu Liman Hamidah Rabbana Lakal Hamdh" get up from ruku to qiyam position.
Now read the tasbih 10 times.
Go to Sajdah saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar) and after reciting "Subhaana Rabbiyal A'la" minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in Sajdah.
Now go after first Sajdah go to Jalsa (sitting position) saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar). Sitting in Jalsa read tasbih 10 times.
Go to sajda again saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar) and after reciting "Subhaana Rabbiyal A'la" minimum of three times read the tasbih 10 times in Sajdah again.
Get up to begin 2nd rakat saying Takbeer (Allah Hoo Akbar).
Do rakah #2 in same fashion, but before reading Bismillah "Bismillah...", and Surah Fatiha, read the tasbih 15 times. Follow the rest as you did in first Rakat.
After second Sajdah of Second Rakat sit in Qaidah Oola (first sitting) read Attahiyat, Durood and Dua then get up for 3rd rakaat without saying Salam.
Begin third Rakat, just like the first Rakat, with Sana "Subhaana Kallahumma...", read the above tasbih 15 times. Follow the rest as you did in first Rakat untill you sit for Qaidah Akihra (last sitting) after second sajdah of fourth Rakah.
In Qaidah Akihra Attahiyat, Durood, Dua finish Salah with Salam.
Special notes for Salat-Ul-Tasbih:
1) Do not count loudly. It will break Salah
2) Do not count on fingers or by holding a Bead Tasbih in hand. It is Makruh.
3) You may count by pressing the fingers as a reminder. For example if you are in Ruku. You me press pinky of your right hand first for the first count, then the finger next to it for second count, then the middle finger for third count, following this method untill you reach the pinky of left hand will give you an exact count of ten. Use the same method in Qayam, Sajdah and Jalsa.
4) If missed a count then make it up in the next posture. For example if forgot to recite Tasbih after Surah in Qayam. Then you may recite Tasbish 20 times instead of 10 in Rukuh after "Subhaana Rabbiyal Azeem". Missed Tasbih cannot be recited in Qayam after ruku and Jalsa between Sajdah. If you missed the Tasbih in Ruku then recite 20 in the first Sajdah instead of the Qayam after rukuh. Similarly if missed the Tasbih in first Sajdah then do not make it up in Jalsa. Instead recite missed tasbih in the second Sajdah. If Tasbih has been missed in last sajdah of second or fourth Rakah then you can recite the missed ones before Attahiyat in Qaidah.
5) If you miss a wajib in Salah and have to do Sajdah Sahaw. You dont have to recite Tasbih in Sajdah sahoo, since the 300 count has been estalished. But if you had missed Tasbih in any of the postures and remeber it now. Then you may recite the missed Tasbih in Sajdah Sahaw now.
6) It is preferable to recite after Surah Fatiha Sura Takathuur in the first raka’, Surah Wal A’sr in the second raka’, Surah Kaferoon (qul ya aiyuhal Kafiroon) in the third and Surah Akhlas (Qul hu Allah-hu ahd) in the fourth raka’. If one does not remember these surah they can recite the ones they prefer.